last 24 hours
last 7 days
last 30 days
older than 30 days

Brick Row Book Shop

method-draw-image (23)

Two holograph letters and one note, signed and dated January 16, 1897, February 4, 1897 and January 5, 1912

TRAUBEL, HORACE L. Five pages, written on the stationery of The Conservator and the Contemporary Club. The earliest letter is addressed "Dear Charlotte," and is personal correspondence on family affairs; the second letter, dated February 4, is to Richard Mansfield, the English actor-manager (1857-1907): "Dear Mr. Mansfield, I have the honor to be one of the executors of Walt Whitman. I take this opportunity to leave for you at the Chestnut Street Opera House a copy of one of his books in which he has many interesting & valuable things to say of plays & players. Whitman was always a friend of actors and a devotee of the stage . . ." Traubel attempts to briefly explain Whitman to Mansfield and cautions him "there are many people who do not like" him, but he encourages Mansfield not to "reject the spirit" of Whitman. With the original envelope. The note dated January 5 [?], 1912, is apparently to a stationer about an order for cards. Traubel's holograph in this third example is becoming increasingly indecipherable. ? Horace Traubel (1858-1919) was born in Camden, New Jersey, befriended Walt Whitman and became one of his literary executors. He was also a journalist, editor of the Conservator, a monthly paper, and active in the American Socialist movement. A few creases from folding; tears at the folds, without loss, in the letter dated January 16; overall in very good condition.
St. Francis Wood. San Francisco's Residence Park [caption title]

St. Francis Wood. San Francisco’s Residence Park [caption title]

SAN FRANCISCO: REAL ESTATE MAP] Cadastral real estate map, 29.2 x 27.4 cm, gray and green color outlining. A rare real estate map of the residential neighborhood of St. Francis Wood in its infancy, across Portola Avenue from the West Portal neighborhood in San Francisco's Sunset District. San Francisco west of the Twin Peaks hills was mostly undeveloped by 1915, but a tunnel that would connect by train this remote part of the city with the neighborhoods closer to downtown was under construction, and developers knew that once that was completed, the areas west of Twin Peaks would be ripe for development. The San Francisco firm of Mason-McDuffie engaged the services of the Olmsted Brothers of Brookline, Mass, and famed California architect John Galen Howard to plan and design what would become one of San Francisco's most elegant residential neighborhoods. From the inception, all utility lines were to be underground, no apartment buildings were allowed, and there were restrictions on the architecture designed and quality of construction. Several other important Bay Area architects became involved, including Henry Gutterson, a protÈgÈ of Bernard Maybeck. A few pencil notations, probably by a realtor or planner; creased, with some minor wear; a little browning at the edges; in very good condition. This is the smaller of two versions of this map; this one was most likely for pocket or portable use; the other larger version for display on a wall. OCLC records one copy of this version (CHS) and two of the larger version (Bancroft and UC Davis).
A Poetical Translation of the Song of Solomon

A Poetical Translation of the Song of Solomon, from the Original Hebrew; With a Preliminary Discourse, and Notes, Historical, Critical, and Explanatory

FRANCIS, ANN, TRANSLATOR 4to, contemporary mottled calf rebacked, gilt rules and raised bands. Four-page list of subscribers. An impressive work of Biblical scholarship by poet and classics scholar Ann Francis (1738-1800), who begins her lengthy "Preliminary Discourse" by defending her position as a translator: "The following paraphrase of the Song of Solomon, which I now offer to the public, may perhaps be thought an improper undertaking for a woman: The learned may imagine its subject above the reach of my abilities; while the unlearned may incline to deem it a theme unfit for the exercise of a female pen." She elaborates on her intention to present the poem in English meter in its most literal sense - a poem which she describes as "ancient and intricate: . . . relished by few, understood by very few." "As to the nature of this poem, the learned have disagreed; some calling it a simple pastoral, other a sublime allegory, others an epithalamium." Over half of the 100 pages of the text of are scholarly and explanatory notes by Francis. See the DNB online. Contemporary ownership initials on the front free endpaper and title-page. Edges a little rubbed; very good copy. ESTC T42730 records eight locations: Birmingham, British Library (four copies), Cambridge (two copies), Harvard, Kent State, New York Public, Chicago, and Yale; Jackson, Romantic Poetry by Women, page 129
The French Impostors: or

The French Impostors: or, An Historical Account of Some Very Extraordinary Cases, Brought before the Parliament of France, Several of which were so Very Surprizing, that they for a Long Time Puzzled the Whole Senate

ANONYMOUS] 12mo, contemporary sheep skillfully rebacked, red leather spine label, gilt rules and lettering. Five pages of publisher's terminal advertisements. ? An unusual collection of seven "extraordinary" and "surprizing" French criminal cases, as recorded by an anonymous English author, who has also supplied an interesting 43-page preface on French law. Among the cases is the 16th century story of Martin Guerre, later used by Janet Lewis for her novel The Wife of Martin Guerre (Colt Press, 1941); that's followed by stories of a man who "debauched" a young woman, but is saved from execution by that woman; Mary Margaret de Aubrey, who poisoned her father and two brothers; the celebrated history of Urbain Grandier, condemned as a Magician; a child claimed by two women to be its mother; Madam Tiquet, who attempted to "assassinate" her husband. Interspersed with the cases are other aspects of French law, the king's edicts against witches and poisoners, etc. Modern nautical bookplate on the front free endpaper of Robert J. Hayhurst, retail pharmacist and book collector. Two leaves misbound following the preface; title-page somewhat soiled and with a small hole not affecting the text; edges of the binding rubbed; very good copy. ESTC N6568, which records six copies of this issue (Cambridge, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Princeton and National Library of Medicine); cf. ESTC T116539 for the first issue First edition, second issue with a cancel title; first published earlier the same year with the title Gallick Reports. This second issue retains the running title Gallick Reports.
Original photographs of rural scenery

Original photographs of rural scenery, vineyards and ranch land, centered on the Hopkins Ranch, Westside Road, southwest of Healdsburg, Sonoma County, California, July-September, 1928

CALIFORNIA]. Moulin, Gabriel, Photographer Folio, plain black cloth oblong album (20.5 x 30 cm), with the small label "Photographed by Gabriel Moulin San Francisco" on the rear paste-down. 48 original gelatin silver prints, 19 x 24 cm each, mounted on linen and bound into an album with lacing. Each photograph has the small round date stamp on the verso of Gabriel Moulin Photo, 153 Kearny St., SF, CAL. Almost every photograph has a small white number in the lower right corner. The plates are not arranged sequentially by number. ? An album of original photographic prints by the legendary San Francisco photographer Gabriel Moulin (1872-1945) of rural landscapes and buildings along Westside Road in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County, taken in the summer of 1928. The photographs are in the straightforward documentary style for which Moulin was famous. The second photograph is of the entrance to the Hopkins Ranch, and it is likely that many of the photographs are of buildings, vineyards, orchards, livestock, pastures, ranch hands, and families that were part of that 8,000 acre ranch. The final eight photographs were taken closer to the coast, in the redwoods and by a creek. This is likely Mill Creek and the Barrel Springs area, a popular picnic spot. The Hopkins Ranch was owned by Moses Hopkins, brother of Mark Hopkins. Moses Hopkins died in 1892, leaving the Hopkins Ranch to his widow Emily Hopkins. A few years after her death in 1925, the property was subdivided. Several wineries today use the name Hopkins Ranch, part of the Russian River appellation, to identify their wines. The route along Westside Road to the coast was one Gabriel Moulin took many times in his capacity as the official photographer of the Bohemian Club, which he joined in 1898. Edges of a few photographs a little rubbed; overall in fine condition.
Society of California Pioneers [caption title]. This is to Certify that D. Hoffman Burrows Who Arrived in California November 1st 1849 is a Member of the Society of California Pioneers . .

Society of California Pioneers [caption title]. This is to Certify that D. Hoffman Burrows Who Arrived in California November 1st 1849 is a Member of the Society of California Pioneers . .

CALIFORNIA]. Society of California Pioneers Broadside, 66 x 51 cm, lithograph on India paper, backed with a heavier stock of paper at an early stage. ? A rare example of the grand certificate of membership in the Society of California Pioneers, the first organization of its kind west of the Mississippi. The Society was founded in 1850 with a membership restricted to those who had arrived in California prior to January 1, 1850. In 1858 the Society contracted the Nahl Brothers, artists and lithographers, to design and print this lavish pictorial certificate. Below the caption-title banner are iconic and romantic California scenes, in vignettes arranged in a manner similar to a mural, depicting miners panning for gold, Sutter's Fort, Yosemite Valley, a vaquero roping a steer, a grove of giant sequoias, a ship entering the Golden Gate, a hunter, a grizzly bear, etc. In the lower part of the multifaceted image are three native California Indians (a man, woman, and child), sitting at the base of a tree, with expressions of sad resignation on their faces at the events unfolding in the scenes above, a subtle and undoubtedly intentional representation by Charles Nahl. This is the earliest version of a certificate of membership in the Society, and an early example of that version, being number 73, dated September 20, 1859, signed by Alexander Abell and William R. Wheaton, president and secretary of the Society. Some wear to the paper at the edges, affecting the caption-title banner, but not the pictorial images; light foxing; very good example. Peters, California on Stone, 175; Morland L. Stevens, Charles Christian Nahl, Artist of the Gold Rush, #80
Three Tracts on the Corn-Trade and Corn-Laws . . . To Which is Added

Three Tracts on the Corn-Trade and Corn-Laws . . . To Which is Added, A Supplement, Containing Several Papers and Calculations which Tend to Explain and Confirm what is Advanced in the Foregoing Tracts. [Bound with:] Observations and Examples to Assist Magistrates in Setting the Assize of Bread made of Wheat . .

ECONOMICS]. [Smith, Charles] 8vo, 2 vols in 1, later straight-grain black morocco, marbled endpapers, gilt rules and lettering, a.e.g. ? A famous treatise by a mill owner Charles Smith (1713-1777) of Croydon, Surrey, on the corn trade. Smith's Tracts were the first attempt to accurately describe the causes of the dearth of corn in the marketplace in 1756-57, for which farmers, millers, bakers, middlemen and speculators were blamed. "Smith's response was to write A Short Essay on the Corn Trade and Corn Laws (1758), which argued that the scarcity had been in the main a real one, occasioned by deficient harvests in the west and north-west parts of England over the preceding three or four years and a general shortfall in the harvest of 1756, and defended as legitimate the actions of the middlemen. This work attracted much attention and praise-David Hume wrote an admiring preface for the Edinburgh edition-and was followed by a second work of 'considerations on the corn laws' (1759), which was privately circulated. In 1766 both these works were reprinted with additional material as Three Tracts on the Corn-Trade and Corn-Laws" - DNB online. The second treatise bound with Three Tracts is anonymous, but has been attributed to Sir James Sanderson and Alderman Dickinson. This copy is from the library of Charles Smith's descendants and possibly sheds light on that attribution: on the front paste-down are two bookplates of the Smith family (one, alas over the other one) and on the verso of the second blank is the inscription "This Book was written by my great-grandfather, Charles Smith . . . S.C. Spencer-Smith." Some light foxing; edges a little rubbed; very good copy. Cf. Goldsmiths' Library of Economic Literature 10183 and ESTC T50306 & T50307 for Three Tracts; cf. Goldsmiths' 10197 & ESTC T41717 for Observations and Examples First combined edition, printing two previously published works (of 1758 and 1759), bound with a third that was also first published in 1759.