last 24 hours
last 7 days
last 30 days
older than 30 days

G.Gosen Rare Books & Old Paper

Menu from Restaurant Schaurté in the Monopol-Hotel

Menu from Restaurant Schaurté in the Monopol-Hotel, Berlin for Dinner, June 16, 1900.

Schaurté, Louis Schaurté, Louis. Menu from Restaurant Schaurté in the Monopol-Hotel, Berlin for Dinner, June 16, 1900. Printed on mulberry paper, 27.5 cm x 19.7 cm, the menu depicts a Japanese scene of three Japanese women in formal traditional Japanese attire and two children similarly attired with a black-and-white cat in the foreground playing with a ball. The branches of a potted blooming tree frame the dinner menu, the courses of which are offered at a price of five marks. Across the top of the menu, in the branches of the tree, are mounted five cancelled nineteenth century Japanese postage stamps. Known for his "patriotic offerings" Schaurté (1851 – 1934) also ran restaurants in the Reichstag building. The Hotel Monopol was situated at 99-100 Friedrichstraße, at the Friedrichstraße Station. In The Gourmet's Guide to Europe by Lieut.-Col. Newnham-Davis and Algernon Bastard, London: Grant Richards, 1903, p. 145, Schaurté's restaurant got a very good endorsement both for quality and price, ranking it at the top of Berlin restaurants. This menu for dinner on June 16, 1900 may have been designed to show solidarity with the Japanese Ambassador to China, Baron Nishi, whose chancellor, Sugiyama Akira, was murdered on June 11, by the Boxers in Peking during the infamous uprising. The German Ambassador to China, Baron von Ketteler, was also attacked and killed. (Baron von Ketteler was married to the daughter of H. B. Ledyard, President of the Michigan Central Railroad.) See: The World, June 16, 1900, front page headlines, and The Evening Tmes of Washington, June 16, 1900, front page. Slight creasing on the left side, with a few browning spots, otherwise a very good and rare surviving menu from the best restaurant in Berlin.
L'ASINO

L’ASINO

Guido Podrecca and Gabrielle Galantara Guido Podrecca and Gabrielle Galantara. L'ASINO È IL POPOLO: UTILE, PAZIENTE E BASTONATO. Roma: Via del Tritone, 132, Anno XXIII, N. 33, 16 Agosto 1914 – No. 52, 27 Dicembre 1914; Anno XXIV, N. 1, 3 Gennaio 1915 – N. 33, 15 Agosto 1915. Year XXIV numbers 18 – 33 were printed on Via Principe Umberto, 46, Roma. Fifty-three consecutive issues are offered here. Each copy measures 37 cm x 27 cm, 8 pages, front and back covers are full-page color illustrations signed "Rata Langa" by Gabrielle Galantara (1865-1937) the principal cartoonist for L'Asino. Started in Rome by Guido Podrecca, as an anarchist publication, this weekly was shut down by the Italian Fascist Party in 1925, when its founder, Podrecca, converted to fascism. The motto on the masthead, "L'ASINO È IL POPOLO: UTILE, PAZIENTE E BASTONATO" described not only the intended readership but also the plight of the long-suffering common man: "The Ass is the people: hardworking, patient and mistreated." This collection of illustrated weekly papers covers the period just after the outbreak of World War I (July 28, 1914) when Italy was still neutral. Italy revoked its alliance with the Central Powers and entered the war on May 23, 1915 and joined the Allies. Issue 4 of January 1915 has a front cover showing the working man sweeping the crowned heads of the belligerents from their thrones. The caption under the image is: "Il terremoto che occorrerebbe per liberare l'umanità." Translated: "The earthquake that struck to liberate humanity." See: James J. Periconi, Strangers in a Strange Land, pp.104-106
A manuscript archive of hundreds of documents relating to the family

A manuscript archive of hundreds of documents relating to the family, business and political affairs of the heirs of Nathaniel Sylvester, one of the three original owners of Shelter Island.

SHELTER ISLAND A manuscript archive of hundreds of documents relating to the family, business and political affairs of the heirs of Nathaniel Sylvester, one of the three original owners of Shelter Island, which documents the way the Sylvester, Dering, Dinkel, Steuart, Rysam, Fosdick, Gardiner, Wentworth and Havens families lived and worked in Colonial America as proprietors on Shelter Island and as shipping and whaling entrepreneurs in Sag Harbor. With 116 principal documents from 1700 – 1799, one may follow the intermarriages of the original Dutch families in New Amsterdam and subsequently in New York during colonial administration. Also, from their business interactions and marriages, one may learn much about such colonial institutions such as the enslavement of people of color, bought from the Faneuil family in Boston, for instance. From a suite of ten extraordinary letters written by Hannah Sylvester, between 1702 and 1720, written to her husband's neglectful executor, advocating for her own cause in terms any modern advocate would admire, one may read first-hand the abusive, discriminatory and sexist legal constraints enforced on women in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and, by extension in the Province of New York. The archive is not without interesting and, at times, amusing appearances of prominent colonial personalities such as Edward Hyde, self-identified in this archive in an extraordinary attestation, as "Edward Viscount Cornbury Capt[ain] Gentl[man?] and Governor in Chief of the Provinces of New York and New Jersey &c …". As America's reputed first cross-dressing politician and notorious royal relative of Queen Anne, the abbreviation "Gentl" begs the question, was he attired as a female at the time of his signing not once but twice on the same document? Of scientific and medical interest are the records of family inoculations in correspondence and genealogies and the establishment of a "Pock House" on Shelter Island, where smallpox patients were quarantined in the 1700s. With a long-standing connection to Yale College and Law School in both the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, it is not surprising to find a wedding certificate entirely in Ezra Stiles's own hand for the marriage of Thomas Dering and Mary Sylvester March 9, 1756 in Newport. In the nineteenth century, Cornelius Sleight II (1853-1881) kept a meticulous "Notes of a Course of Lectures on Elementary Law. Delivered by Professor Robinson to the Students of the Yale Law School." Cornelius's sister and mother were both also diarists, and their diaries survive among the 100 principal nineteenth-century documents in this manuscript archive. Among the signatures on the principal documents are: Thomas Burroughs Jonathan Clark Adam Comstock Joseph Conkling Griselda Cotton Jonathan Cotton Nathaniel Cotton Capt. Danvers Jonas Dayton Brinley S. Dering Anna Charlotte Dering Eliza. Dering Frances M. Dering Mary Frances Dering Captain Henry Dering Henry Dering Henry Packer Dering Henry S. Dering Henry Thomas Dering Nicol Henry Dering N. Richard Dering Capt. Richard N. Dering Sylvester Dering Thomas Dering William Henry Dering John Eastwicke Hepzibah Edwards Nicoll Fosdick Thomas Fosdick Eliza. P. Gardiner Robert M - - -h. Gardiner Mary Gooch Abigail Grant Mary Dering Gray Robert F. Hand Jonathan Nicoll Havens Ludowick Havens Mary C. Havens Nicoll Havens Sarah Hampstead James H. Hicks Thomas Hutchinson, Jr. Edward Hyde, Earl of Cornbury John Knowling H. Lloyd John Lloyd James Monk Lewis Morris Junior Benjamin M. Mumford Rensselaer Nicoll William Nicoll Andrew Oliver Marcus B. Osborn E. Prime Thomas P. Ripley & His Wife, Elizabeth Elizabeth Rutty, Griz[ze]ll Sanford William Sanford Benjamin Sawyer Stephen Seabury Anna F[rances] Sleight Cornelius Sleight Cornelius Sleight II Cornelius R. Sleight Elizabeth Sleight Hannah P. Sleight Henry C. Sleight Sarah Sleight William R. Sleight [Jr.] John Smith Sally Smith A.M. Steuart Rev. Ezra Stiles Charles Storer Brinley Sylvester Hannah Sylvester Margaret Sylvester Mary Sylvester Nathaniel Sylvester II Nath[anie]ll Sylvester III Mary Thomas Sarah Dering Thomas Daniel Updike Elizabeth Dering Wentworth John Wentworth Mark H. Wentworth Sam[uel] Wentworth Silas Wood The line of ownership of these papers by the Dinkel-Sleight-Steuart family from their dates of creation in the eighteenth century to the present day is unbroken, some of the content of these documents demonstrates the diligence of the successive family members in recording their genealogies as well as retaining documents that record their verifiable positions in eighteenth and nineteenth century American society, namely the Sylvester, Dering, Dinkel, Sleight and Steuart families. Condition of individual items is noted in the full catalogue descriptions. Generally, the overall condition is remarkably good. A few documents, some of them recording the Dering-Sleight family's participation in defining moments in colonial American history, are deserving of conservation, but still legible. A longer description as well as a catalogue of the significant documents are available upon application.
Map of that Part of the City of New York North of 155th Street Showing the Progress Made in Laying Out Streets

Map of that Part of the City of New York North of 155th Street Showing the Progress Made in Laying Out Streets, Roads, Public Squares and Places, by the Commissioners of the Central Park, Under Chap. 565 of Laws of 1865 and of New Pier and Bulkhead Lines under Chap. 697 of Laws of 1867, January 1st, 1868.

Commissioners of the Central Park [Map, Upper Manhattan] Major and Knapp Eng. Mfg. & Lith. Co. 71 Broadway, N.Y., Map of that Part of the City of New York North of 155th Street Showing the Progress Made in Laying Out Streets, Roads, Public Squares and Places, by the Commissioners of the Central Park, Under Chap. 565 of Laws of 1865 and of New Pier and Bulkhead Lines under Chap. 697 of Laws of 1867, January 1st, 1868. Taken from New York City. Commissioners of the Central Park. Twelfth Annual Report for the Year Ending December 31, 1867. New York, 1868, formerly pages 70 – 71. Scale 3 ¾ in is equal to 2,000 feet. Sheet: 15 7/8 in x 39 ¼, colored map image within the black border 14 1/16 in x 38 ½ in. The dimensions given by Haskell (38 ½ in x 14 ¼ in) are reversed and slightly inaccurate to this impression, giving the horizontal measurement first and the vertical measurement second, contrary to current library standards. A colored lithographed map, it is found in Haskell, Manhattan Maps, No. 1192. Copies are held at the New York Public Library, American Geographical Society (2 copies), the New York Historical Society (2 copies), and at the Library of Congress. An "Explanation" serves as a key to deciphering the types and colors of lines used. Condition as new, still folded.
First Symphony (In One Movement).

First Symphony (In One Movement).

Barber, Samuel Barber, Samuel. First Symphony (In One Movement). New York: G. Schirmer, Inc., 1943. G. Schirmer's Edition of Study Scores of Orchestral Works & Chamber Music, No 32, [title-page, verso gives instrumentation, information about first performances in Europe and the United States, duration time; 97 pages], full-score, Opus 9, Schirmer plate number 40720, copyright 1943. This copy was signed, inscribed and dated by Samuel Barber: "To my boss and friend Dan Saidenberg Samuel Barber June 1944". 26 cm. x 19 cm. The cover was de-acidified, expertly conserved and mended, and the book block was resewn. Now very good and a usable reading copy. A rare early inscription on an early work in the first edition to an important fellow musician when both men were in the U.S. Army. Samuel Barber (1910 – 1981) was one of the most celebrated composers of the twentieth century. Barber was a triple prodigy in voice, piano, and composition, entering the Curtis Institute in Philadelphia at age 14. Best remembered internationally for his hauntingly beautiful Adagio for Strings, first championed by Arturo Toscanini, his music has been used at times of national and international crisis to honor the dead and console the living. Who could ever forget Barber's music at Princess Grace's funeral ? The First Symphony dates from 1936 and bears the opus number 9 on the first page of the score. The first performance was by Bernardino Molinari and the Augusteo Orchestra in Rome, December 13, 1936. The first American performance was given by Arthur Rodzinski and the Cleveland Orchestra, January 22, 1937. Samuel Barber enjoyed the distinction for winning the Pulitzer Prize twice, as well as distinguished commissions, such as writing the opera for the opening of the new Metropolitan Opera House in 1966 (Anthony and Cleopatra). In 1942, Barber joined the Army Air Corps. The dedicatee here is Daniel Saidenberg, a violoncellist in the Philadelphia Orchestra starting in 1926, and in 1930 he was a 'cellist in the Chicago Symphony. Saidenberg was the first 'cellist to win the prestigious Walter W. Naumburg International Competition, after which he pursued a solo career; and, in later years, he was a Manhattan gallery owner, known for his sponsorship of faculty recitals at New York's Juilliard School. Saidenberg died in 1997 at age 90.
New York City Gay Scene Guide Quarterly - $2.

New York City Gay Scene Guide Quarterly – $2.

Steve Curtiss, editor Curtiss, Steve, editor. New York City Gay Scene Guide Quarterly - $2. New York: Mattachine Book Service, January 1968. 23 pages, 17.8 cm x 10.5 cm, illustrated paper covers. Front cover proclaims: "LATEST EDITION! SPRING 1969 [Sic] QUARTERLY, Vol. 1, #1." And, also advertises: "BRAND NEW! COMPLETELY REVISED." The copyright is dated January 1968, so the date "Spring 1969" on the cover may be a printing error. On the back cover, the second printing is advertised for sale from the Mattachine Book Service, G.P.O. Box 1982, New York, N.Y. 10001 U.S.A." The table of contents is also published on the back cover. Covering the New York area, not just Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island, this rare pre-Stonewall guide also covered Fire Island, Long Island and areas in upstate New York." "A Scan of the New York City Gay Scene" by Robert Rack, Jr. is a four-page description of his impressions of and knowledge of areas in Manhattan where gay men could go and socialize and the degrees of relative safety of these areas and places. There are listings for bars, baths, coffee houses, clothing shops, hotels, discussion groups, theatres, night clubs, parks, private clubs, restaurants, homophile organizations, followed by lists by borough, upstate New York, Fire Island. The Stone Wall is listed at 53 Christopher Street. Also, there is a notice for anticipated film releases, among them The Killing of Sister George, Un Chant d'Amour by Jean Genet and Andy Warhol's Bike Boy. Catullus Silent produced at U.C.L.A. film workshop. Two concluding pages advertise a list of "underground films," five of which are Andy Warhol's films. Condition is almost as new.
Photograph Album of Forty-nine Silver Gelatin Prints of Images of Prewar Kurdistan

Photograph Album of Forty-nine Silver Gelatin Prints of Images of Prewar Kurdistan, Iraq and Jerusalem by a Royal Air Force Officer 1934 – 1936

Photograph Album of Forty-nine Silver Gelatin Prints of Images of Prewar Kurdistan, Iraq and Jerusalem by a Royal Air Force Officer 1934 - 1936 An album of 24 leaves, 18 cm x 24.5 cm leaf size, with prints varying in sizes, 11 cm x 15.5 cm, 15.5 cm x 19.5 cm, 15 cm x 20.5 cm, 9 cm x 14 cm (3). A well-made album from Schäffel in very good condition, with tissue guards, the vintage images are all in fine condition. Only a few of the silver gelatin images show signs of solarization on their edges. There are seven images of Baghdad, among them "New Street"; St. George's Church"; "New Rafisan Hotel." Also, numerous images taken in Kurdistan at the Royal Air Force (R.A.F.) Summer Training Camp at Ser Armadia, a few images of the fellow officers of the young man who took these pictures, known only to us from an inscription dated 1936 on the inside front cover as "Jim." Several of these images record the championships captured by C Squadron, as well as the personnel of the Iraq Rifle Command VIII (1935). Also, the personnel of the Airport Depot Military Band and the Depot Dance band (1935) are recorded. There are some photographs of the tribal people in their native dress. The images of prewar Jerusalem under the British Mandate are striking. Included are images of the Wailing Wall, the Damascus Gate, the Via Dolorosa, the Mount of Olives, and a view from the top of the Mount of Olives towards the wilderness.
Hof-bräu Haus Speisekarte.

Hof-bräu Haus Speisekarte.

August Janssens [Souvenir Menu] Janssen, August. Hof-bräu Haus Speisekarte. New York, January, 1908. First edition, 16 pages, 13 inches x 7 ¾ inches. Heavy paper covers, decorated with color-lithography in the style of Imperial Germany, complete with a surviving red silk ribbon with a faux wax seal still attached, the colorful decorated pages of the menu were printed on heavy laid paper. August Janssen's famous restaurant was located on Broadway and 30th Street in New York City opposite Daly's Theatre. Janssen's Hof-bräu Haus opened in June 1898 and grew in the intervening years into a showplace of South German interior decoration and cuisine, as well as a famous landmark visited by Germans travelling in America. Each room in the Hof-bräu Haus was named, as one entered the Ladies' Entrance on the Broadway side, s/he entered the Rothenburg ob der Tauber, with paintings by Thomas and Egli. The electric lights were mounted in Leuchterweibchen, carved by Edward Stottner, keeper of the Tucher Haus in Nürnberg. From the Rothenburg one entered the Fasszimmer, where an alcove accommodated the Müncher Künstler Ensemble, which played there every evening. Going up three steps, one entered Wallenstein's Lager, a large room on the Thirtieth Street Side. The condition of this remarkable visual record of the interior of this famous New York restaurant is remarkably good, as it has only a few minor chips to the cover, with one minor archival tape repair, given the wise choice of paper used for the printing in 1908. This record is one of not only dishes served and the prices charged for them in 1908, but also of the artist's renderings of the interior and the location of the building at an important New York City intersection. Sold with the original Hof-bräu Haus envelope in which this souvenir menu has been kept since 1908.
A System of Rapid Transit for the City of New York.

A System of Rapid Transit for the City of New York.

Wegmann, E. and C. J. Bates Wegmann, Edward and Charles Jarvis Bates, A System of Rapid Transit for the City of New York. Proposed by E. Wegmann, Jr. and C. J. Bates, Civil Engineers. New York: Metropolitan Job Print, 38 and 40 Vesey Street, 1890. 8vo, 8 pages, three fold-out plate diagrams. 23.3 cm. Collation: Paper wrapper; an advertisement for The Design and Construction of Masonry Dams by Edward Wegmann, Jr. CE, identifying Wegmann as the division engineer for the New Croton Aqueduct of New York City added after publication (ii); 8 pages; 3 fold-out plates] A damp-stain on the front cover and on the title page indicates which pages were original, not affecting readability or text. There is a one-hole perforation in the upper left-hand corner. Archival tape has been applied to the spine and some of the pages, as the paper shows signs of being brittle. The plates are on heavier paper and are as originally issued. First edition. A prospectus for building a rapid transit system in New York City, evaluating the three plans under consideration: tunnels at a depth of 50 to 150 feet; tunnels and open trenches near the surface; and, elevated structures. Wegmann and Bates describe the advantages of elevated structures, as elevated out-door railways were already in use in New York City at the time of this proposal. Their proposal is for four tracks to be constructed, with the local trains running above the express trains. They point out the advantages of their plan as being the cheapest to build, requiring the least width of right-of-way; and, as affording the greatest comfort to the passengers. Wegmann and Bates even advocated for the location of this above-ground rapid transit system as being ideally located between Third and Fourth Avenues. Two copies were located at the New York Public Library and at Stanford University.
Memorial Badge Worn by Bvt. Maj. L. Curtis Brackett at the Inauguration of the Grant Monument

Memorial Badge Worn by Bvt. Maj. L. Curtis Brackett at the Inauguration of the Grant Monument, April 27, 1897 with Documentation

[U.S. Grant] Sneider, Robert President Ulysses S. Grant. Sneider, Robert. Memorial Badge with Rosette and Effigy of President Ulysses S. Grant.New York: Robert Sneider, 37 John Street, [1897] and a manuscript, a Record of Service of L. Curtis Brackett, Bvt. Major, U. S. A. Compiled by His Wife 19 pages, 10 legal-size sheets, prepared by his wife, Charlotte Morell Speed Brackett. Also sold with a photograph of Maj. Brackett, his wife and daughter, Anna Speed Brackett, taken at Luna Park, Coney Island, New York during the summer of 1910. The family members are identified on the verso of this souvenir postcard photograph. Also included is a letter from the Secretary of the "Grant Monument Association, Mills Building, No. 15 Broad Street, New York" dated February 25, 1897, typed and signed by James C. Reed, Secretary, addressed to Major Brackett, regarding "… some of your business engagements would not allow you to render much service at this time; but he hoped to have your help in the affair before the event: April 27th." James C. Reed, Secretary of the Grant Monument Association, died from overwork related to the preparations for the inauguration of Grant's tomb. His obituary stated "He was a great friend of President Arthur and served as private secretary during part of Mr. Arthur's administration. He was appointed Shipping Commissioner of this port by President Harrison, and served until Mr. Cleveland appointed his successor. At a meeting of the Grant Monument Associaton, Wednesday, resolutions commending the services of Mr. Reed were passed …". (New York Herald, April 24, 1897). It is noteworthy that Bvt. Maj. L. Curtis Brackett was brevetted twice by President Lincoln. The first time was as Bvt. Captain on July 6, 1864, and the second time occurred on April 2, 1865, as Bvt. Major, just twelve days before President Lincoln was assassinated. Both citations are quoted in full, as well as other numerous citations and recommendations for this distinguished officer and Aide-de-Camp to Major General Orlando B. Willcox. Following years of fund-raising and argument about the location of President Grant's final resting place, New York City was chosen because his express wish was to be buried next to his wife, Julia Dent Grant, and as West Point did not yet allow women to be buried there. As Mrs. Grant lived nearby, she chose New York and a scenic promontory on Riverside Drive at 122nd Street for her and her husband's mausoleum. On April 27, 1897, the seventy-fifth anniversary of President Grant's birth, the dedication of the General Grant National Memorial took place, with Bvt. Major Levi Curtis Bracket, as Aide-de-Camp to General Grenville M. Dodge, Grand Marshall of the Inauguration of the Grant Monument, wearing this Memorial Badge, a white effigy of President Grant mounted on a circular wreath of black tulle, attached to a paper back with the original pin still attached. The tulle measures 8 cm x 5.5 cm, and the white effigy of President Grant 3.5 cm x 2 cm. The condition of these three very rare surviving piece of ephemera is fine, with only a corner missing from the postcard, not affecting the image.
THE WANAMAKER VEST POCKET SUBWAY GUIDE.

THE WANAMAKER VEST POCKET SUBWAY GUIDE.

Wanamaker's Department Store, New York [New York City Subway] THE WANAMAKER VEST POCKET SUBWAY GUIDE. 12.5 cm x 13 cm, an unfolded cardboard postcard created as promotional advertising for the new New York City Wanamaker department store at Astor Place, which featured its own store entrance directly from the subway platform. Augustyn and Cohen, in MANHATTAN MAPS 1527 – 2014 state: "The first subway map to be distributed was a private venture. In 1904, Wanamaker's, whose new department store boasted an entrance right at the downtown platform at Astor Place, published a simplified subway map heralding the coming of both the subway and the new store." (p. 135) The image printed on the card is titled "The Wanamaker Station in the Subway at Astor Place. As it will appear when the new Wanamaker Building is completed." This promotional post card was printed in 1904, the year in which underground subway service began in New York City. It shows the platform entrance to Wanamaker's store, with the subway train, headlights on, travelling in the tunnel. (The earliest segment of the New York train transportation system was the above-ground Ninth Avenue El, which began operations in 1868 as a cable-hauled line.) The Wanamaker Department Store at Astor Place was being built in 1904 as an annex to the earlier A. T. Stewart store, which Wanamaker acquired, accessed by a third-floor walkway. According to Henry Collins Brown (1862 - 1961) ground was broken in 1903. The Astor Place subway station is one of the original twenty-eight stations in the newly opened 1904 underground subway system in New York City. This vest pocket subway guide bears a red stamp with an arrow pointing to the underground subway platform entrance, added when the new store opened in 1907, which says, "Direct Entrance from SUBWAY to the WANAMAKER STORE NOW OPEN." Below the image of the underground entrance to Wanamaker's is a time table: "Time Table of the New Subway, from City Hall to 145th St. – the portion at present completed." On the left-hand side the express stations are listed: Brooklyn Bridge, 14th Street, 42nd Street, 72nd Street, 96th Street, 103rd Street, 110th Street, 116th Street, Manhattan Street, 137th Street, 145th Street. The running times in minutes from the start, Brooklyn Bridge, are listed opposite the stations. On the right-hand side of the guide, below the image, are listed the local stations in double columns: City Hall, Brooklyn Bridge, Worth Street, Canal Street, Spring Street, Bleeker Street, Astor Place (Wanamaker's), 14th Street, 18th Street, 23rd Street, 28th Street, 33rd Street, 42nd Street (Grand Central), 42nd Street (Broadway), 59th Street, 60th Street, 66th Street, 72nd Street, 79th Street, 86th Street, 91st Street, 96th Street, 103rd Street, 110th Street, 116th Street, Manhattan Street, 137th Street, 145th Street. Below the Time Table is the "Route of the Subway," showing those portions completed at the time of printing, 1904. This copy, in its original unrestored state, is believed to be one of three recorded copies of THE WANAMAKER VEST POCKET SUBWAY GUIDE with a time table of running times between express stations and a listing of the local station stops. With the exception of a fold-furrow now repaired, the condition of this extraordinarily rare first New York City subway guide is very good, as it was never addressed, stamped or sent through the mail. The verso is very clean as is the recto with the image and printed information. The repair at the center fold is weak and should not ever be folded again, as the reattached surface paper with a few restored letters would be lost.In Henry Collins Brown's The New Subway in Manhattan, New York: The Winthrop Press, 1904, both the image of the underground entrance to Wanamaker's store and the map are reproduced on separate pages: the subway map with running times is on page 21 and the image of Wanamaker's subway platform entrance on pp. 14-15. See also: Report of the Board of Rapid Transit Railroad Commissioners for the City of New York for the Year Ending December 31, 1904. New York: 1905, Appendix I: "Rapid Transit Commission Map and Profile of Railway Shown by Contract Drawings Dated April 7, 1898. Corrected to December 31st, 1904. Wm. Barclay Parsons, Chief Engineer."