last 24 hours
last 7 days
last 30 days
older than 30 days

BOOKPRESS LTD.

method-draw-image (23)

HISTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA HALL WHICH WAS DESTROYED BY A MOB, ON THE 17TH

WEBB, Samuel, editor) (ANTI-SLAVERY-ABOLITIONISTS-PHILADELPHIA) (WEBB, Samuel, editor) HISTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA HALL WHICH WAS DESTROYED BY A MOB, ON THE 17TH OF MAY, 1838. Philadelphia: Merrihew and Gunn, 1838. 8vo. Later maroon quarter-morocco and red cloth. Handcolored lithographic frontispiece, 200 pages, three engraved plates. First edition. Extra-illustrated edition of this book. Erected in Philadelphia in 1838 by t Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society as a public forum to discuss civil rights a other great matters, Pennsylvania Hall was burned down and destroyed by a mob just three days after its dedication. Three illustrations in the book show Pennsylvania Hall. The first, a hand-colored lithograph, shows the hall before the fire, as designed in the Greek Revival style by Philadelphia architect Thomas Sommerville Stewart his first completed architectural commission. He was to become a leading archite in Philadelphia and as his reputation grew, he designed the Egyptian revival style main building for the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond in 1845. The second illustration is a dramatic mezzotint engraving "drawn on the spot" John Sartain, smoke and flames engulfing the building. The third image, a relief engraving, depicts the burned out shell of the charred structure. Violence and protests had followed soon after its dedication ceremonies. Dur a meeting of the Anti-Slavery Convention of American Women, while abolitionis Maria Weston Chapman addressed the assembly, a mob smashed the windows and interrupted the meeting. The following day, Philadelphia city officials - fearing more violence, closed Pennsylvania Hall. That night, the mob broke i and set the building on fire. The text of History of Pennsylvania Hall, comprises letters read and speeches given at its dedication, including abolitionist David Paul Brown's keynote address, plus remarks by abolitionists William Lloyd Garrison and women's rig activist and abolitionist Angelina Emily Grimke Weld's address to the Anti-Slavery Convention of American Women. Also seen within is a report on t hall's destruction. In addition to the regular three plates, this copy has an added lithograph portrait of John G. Whittier, abolitionist Quaker poet who composed one of th poems read at the dedication cerem.
method-draw-image (23)

HISTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA HALL WHICH WAS DESTROYED BY A MOB, ON THE 17TH

WEBB, Samuel, editor) (ANTI-SLAVERY-ABOLITIONISTS-PHILADELPHIA) (WEBB, Samuel, editor) HISTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA HALL WHICH WAS DESTROYED BY A MOB, ON THE 17TH OF MAY, 1838. Philadelphia: Merrihew and Gunn, 1838. 8vo. Later black half-morocco, marble boards. Hand-colored lithographic frontispiece, 200 pages, two engraved plate First edition. Erected in Philadelphia in 1838 by the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society as a public forum to discuss civil rights and other great matters, Pennsylvania Ha was burned down and destroyed by a mob just three days after its dedication. Three illustrations in the book show Pennsylvania Hall. The first, a hand-colored lithograph frontispiece, shows the hall before the fire, as designed in the Greek Revival style by Philadelphia architect Thomas Sommervi Stewart his first completed architectural commission. He was to become a leading architect in Philadelphia and as his reputation grew, he designed the Egyptian revival style main building for the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond in 1845. The second illustration is a dramatic mezzotint engraving "drawn on the spot" by John Sartain, smoke and flames engulfing the building. The third image, a relief engraving, depicts the burned out shell of the char structure. Violence and protests had followed soon after its dedication ceremonies. Dur a meeting of the Anti-Slavery Convention of American Women, while abolitionis Maria Weston Chapman addressed the assembly, a mob smashed the windows and interrupted the meeting. The following day, Philadelphia city officials - fearing more violence, closed Pennsylvania Hall. That night, the mob broke i and set the building on fire. The text of History of Pennsylvania Hall, comprises letters read and speeches given at its dedication, including abolitionist David Paul Brown's keynote address, plus remarks by abolitionists William Lloyd Garrison and women's rig activist and abolitionist Angelina Emily Grimke Weld's address to the Anti-Slavery Convention of American Women. Also seen within is a report on t hall's destruction. Errata slip laid in. Some scattered foxing; frontispiece toned, small inked number at the tail of p[3]; overall a very good copy.
method-draw-image (23)

THE MODEL TOWN; OR, THE RIGHT AND PROGRESSIVE ORGANIZATION OF INDUSTRY

BASSETT, Edward Barnard) (CITY PLANNING) (BASSETT, Edward Barnard). THE MODEL TOWN; OR, THE RIGHT AND PROGRqESSIVE ORGANIZATION OF INDUSTRY FOR THE PRODUCTION OF MATERIAL AND MORA WEALTH. Cambridge: For the Author, 1869. 12mo. Puiblisher's terra-cotta cloth, lette in gilt on spine and with gilt floral ornament on front board. 104 pages. Fir edition. Rare book. OCLC doe not record any original copies. A late survival of Fourierist ideals popularized in America by Horace Greeley in the pages of th New York Tribune, and renamed "Associationism" and based on an argarian-handicraft economy where work was voluntary and goods produced were property of the community. Published uder the pseudonym "BETA", Bassett was Congregational minister of Warwick, Massachusetts. He lays out the physical moral dimensions of the ideal Christian associationist community. His key points are co-ownership of property, with shares apportioned in proportion wi each member's investment; equal rights for men. women and children, based on individual's ability to labor; and equal division of profits among any who labored on behalf of the community. Chapter two is devoted to the practical design concerns for the model town pl Highlights include: "The land will be laid out in fields, parks, gardens, orchards, meadows and woodlands,.There would be need of but few fences; on around the boundray of the town, and a few in the interior.And instead of hundred little farms cut up into all manner of shapes, there would be regularity, order and system of arrangement,." Later there is discussion o the buildings which includes: "Each family will need a model house or cottage built, or one block of houses for a number of families,.the house or cottag constructed in such a manner that each shall have its garden and smaller fruit-lot combined." "The other buildings of the town will be built on a scale suited to the business and the persuits of the place. There will be a church built to accomodate the inhabitants." "Their schools will be graded so as to fit children for the different pursuits of the town.A public hall will be built for lectures, concerts, and other town and society gatherings." Scarce in commerce. Front hinge thinly cracked at gutter, else a bright, nea fine copy.
method-draw-image (23)

18 LITHOGRAPHS ILLUSTRATING THE TEXT OF CANDIDE BY VOLTAIRE

WINES, James N. (WINES-ARCHITECT AND ARTIST) WINES, James N. 18 LITHOGRAPHS ILLUSTRATING TH TEXT OF CANDIDE BY VOLTAIRE. Rome: Roberto Bulla, 1959. Large folio, 18 lithographs measuring 22 1/2 x 17 1/2 inches laid into flexible printed wrappers, with separate letterpress tex on thin India paper, all laid into original black lettered buckram portfolio. Only edition. Rare item not recorded on OCLC but two copies are known, MOMA and Toledo Muse of Art. A limted edition production number 32 of 50 copies, each modernistic lithograph signed and numbered in pencil by the twenty-seven year-old artist lived in Rome from 1956 to 1962, and while there he won the Prix de Rome in 1956. Wines is an American artist, sculptor, highly aclaimed architect, and international lecturer associated with environmental design. A professor at Penn State, he is the founder of SITE (Sculpture in the Environment), a New Y based architectural and environmental arts organization in 1970. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Graphic Art in 1955, and Cooper-Hewitt's 2013 Lifetime Achievement Design Award. In 1983 he was appointed the chairman of the desig department at Parsons School of Design. Beside his accomplishments in graphic design, he is known for his distinctive architectural designs, especially through SITES. In Virginia he was the creative genius behind the design of the showroom buildings for Best Company, Richmond family based business operating from coast to coast in the 1970s and 1980s. Their buildings became unique, surrealistic and unorthodox works of a - such as "Falling brick facades," the "Peeling facades," and the "Notch building." Each building stands alone as a work of art and is not duplicated and they can be seen from Virginia to California. The back of flexible wrappers contains pencil inscription "To Mr. & Mrs. Rich Kimball, with many thanks, James Wines, August, 1964." The buckrum portfolio a little dusty, and the set lacks one India tissue paper cover, else fine.
method-draw-image (23)

PLANS, SECTIONSD & ELEVATIONS OF A POST HEADQUARTERS BUILDING, DESIGNE

FIELD, G.W., Draughtsman (ARCHITECTURE-MILITARY FORT) FIELD, G.W., Draughtsman. PLANS, SECTIONS & ELEVATIONS OF A POST HEADQUARTERS BUILDING, DESIGNED FOR FORT THORNBURGH, UTAH. (Washington, DC): House Ex. Doc. US Congress, 1882. Two large folding sheets (28 1/2 x 19 1.2 inches - one vertical and one horizontal). A rare survival of nineteenth century military aritecture. The folding chart detail floor plans, elevations and details of the proposed buildings that wer to make up Fort Thronburgh, Utah Territory. The two working plans are of masonry and framed buildings presumably for the original intentions for the fort and include on Plan "A" Post Headquarters Building with floor plan, three elevations and plan of the roofs. The second plan "B" includes several buildings: a Guard Room and Prison with floor plan elevation; Squad & Mess Building with floor plan, exterior elevation and cross-section; Barracks Building with floor plan of the first and second floo and elevation; Grainery with floor plan; Ordinances Stores with plan and elevation; and also an axiomatic plan with details of wall and floor framing. G.W. Field is the name of the draughtsman. The Secretary of War decided to construct a fort in the Uinta Basin to hold t Utes on the reservation and to quiet any potential hostilities between the Indians and whites. Major Hawkins was ordered out of Fort Steele on August 2 1881 and established the new fort on September 17 which was moved in the Spri of 1882 to Ashley Creek near present-day Vernal, Utah. The Secretary of War planned an elaborate $84,000 fort consisting of thirty-two brock or frame buildings to house four companies of men. The men began work on eight tempor abode buildings and laid out the bondaries of the Fort, which encompassed 21, acres. Unfortunately the appropriations from Congress for the fort were a disappointing $1,500 toward construction in 1883 resulting in any new work be halted. In time Fort Thornburgh was abandoned. Very good.
method-draw-image (23)

ALBUM OF LOVE

STANLEY, Reverend Edwin Samuel) (WOMEN-CONNECTICUT-TRADE BINDINGS) (STANLEY, Reverend Edwin Samuel). ALBUM LOVE. New York: Leavitt & Allen, (circa 1850). Square 8vo (7 3/4 x 6 1/4 inches). Publisher's royal blue textured cloth with blind and gilt decorations. Frontispiece, engraved title leaf, (44) leaves (not all leaves used), 3 plate An uncommon special work. While OCLC does record several works with this tit and also printed by the same publishers, these are significantly different published works far expanded from this work, each with more than 120 pages. Album of Love is an apt title for this friendship album from Mystic, Connecticut. From the poetical Dedication inscription written by E.S. Stanle "The book goes forth to gather from friends, so that when gathered in and friends are gone or dead, they may afford a joy,- a pleasant passing hour, to one who loves keepsakes, though but a transient thought. Go then! yet count one thy friend but those whose thoughts are pure; - whose words are sincere o the soul." This dedication was likely written by Reverend Edwin Samuel Stanl (1819-1899). a Methodist Episcopal Church clergyman, licensed to preach in 18 He served the communities-a partial list-of Cumberland, East Mansfield, East Glastonbury, Mystic, South Manchester, East Greenwich, New Bedford, and Newpo He was a Free-Soiler and Abolitionist. Friendship album did indeed go forth. This album containing approximately 21 pages of manuscript was kept by a young woman named "Jennie" ("Jane" to her cousin) in Mystic. Jennie lent this album to her friends and family in Mysti and nearby Greenville (Norwich) and they neatly inscribed poems and other sentiments of love and friendship. The writing can be light at times and challenging to read, but still an interesting 1850s woman's friendship album from Mystic with a gilt decorated, trade cloth bookbinding. The plates are engraved by H. A. Ritchie, Sartain, etc. With 15 applied color paper decorations; variously colored text leaves, tissue guards' all edged gilt. Binding with minor rubbing; foxing to title-p and plates; handwriting is quite light at times; else very good.