last 24 hours
last 7 days
last 30 days
older than 30 days

Zephyr Used & Rare Books

method-draw-image (23)

Scraps thankfully received. [An exceptional Georgian Period sentimental album, or commonplace book, featuring 41 original painted miniatures, pencil sketches, and pen & inks, featuring Orientalist, fashion, natural history, and other themes. Added to these are contemporary engravings, pop-up greeting cards, hand-coloured woodcut engravings and engravings, arranged in decorative and attractive patterns throughout the album].

GEORGIAN SENTIMENTAL ALBUM]. [FENNING, B.; HILL, Richard E. (Artists)]. 4to. [100 pp (unpaginated).], on a variety of thick colour-tinted paper stocks, including ivory, beige, light pink, turquoise-green, gray, and more. With 41 original painted miniatures, pencil sketches, and pen & ink drawings, ranging in size from 4.2 x 5 in. for initial pencil sketch, to 7 x 9 in. for many of the leaves bearing painted miniatures, a painted armorial on 2.5 x 4 in. card mounted on elaborately embossed pink paper stock 6 x 7.5 in., some trimmed w/ octagon shapes, several framed in gold foil borders, many signed in pencil, either w/ author's signature, or title, a few dated; 150 steel engravings, woodcut engravings, and other clipped illustrations, the majority of which were hand-coloured and carefully mounted, many featuring tissue guards, some w/ clipped titles below, 12 pop-up paper engineered Valentines, and greeting cards, most featuring silver or gold metallic inks, many w/ intricate paper lace patterns (a few w/ minor damage, and a few minor tears). Contemporary half-calf over marbled boards, leather corners (nicely rebacked, occasional offsetting, minor soiling, some tissue guards w/ tears, 1 leaf w/ removed sample), still a VG exemplar. This fascinating and nicely curated Georgian Period sentimental album assembled during the yeaars before Victoria took the throne of England following the death of King George IV. Although unsigned, or without any manuscript attribution, the compiler has assembled a remarkable group of natural history themed miniatures by B. Fenning (fl. 1820-1850), a British painter well known for paintings featuring hunting, ornithological, dogs, and other natural history themes, occasionally ascribed to other artists including Henry Alken. The signed miniatures in this album include a scene of an eagle bringing down a deer with penciled background landscape and numbered 28 in pencil at lower right corner; another of two hunting dogs in the long grass signed and dated 1835, while another with a hunting dog and bird by a pond also signed and dated 1835. There are three others clearly in the same style, painted on the same paper stock, and with clearly similar subject themes including one fine miniature of an owl facing forward at rest, another of two grouse facing and circling one another numbered 28 in pencil in lower right corner as well, and one other of two hunting dogs at a ponds edge having chased a Mallard duck flying away. Seven of the original paintings mounted in the album are signed in pencil by Richard E. Hill, or R.E. Hill, and one dated 1834 in pencil, consistently of young women in period costume, a couple with Oriental themes, such as turbans, or headdress with elaborate feathers, all finely executed, and there are several others which appear to have been executed in the same period by the same unknown artist, with similar period costumes, as well as a few with Medieval Revival folk costumes, or fashions, one of these featuring embossed paper stamp for De La Rue, James & Rudd Extra Superfine Bond. One of the finely done watercolour paintings with Orientalist theme includes an African or Middle Eastern tillerman at the bow of a tented barge, below an elaborate bay windowed turret on castle wall, with background castle scenery in the distance. Six miniature paintings of a smaller size of richly dressed women in period dress, many with splendid gold bejeweled ornaments, jewelry, and necklaces, as well as draped in rich fabrics, as well as an additional series of larger paintings possibly Hill, but seemingly with different strokes, and one with pencil inscription for "The Honorable Mrs. Stanhope (i.e. Elizabeth Falconer), perhaps best remembered for her entitled mezzotint by Sir Joshua Reynolds. In addition, there are several paintings of bouquets or groups of flowers, such as roses, along with one painting of flowers in a vase on a thick colour-tinted paper stock, with embossed stamp in lower corner for De La Rue Cornish & Rock Extra London Crayon Board. The tipped-in engravings, many of which retain the tissue guards include "Morning" painted by Richard Wilson, engraved by Samuel R. Reynolds, first appearing in Gems of Art, August 1, 1824; "Rembrandt's Mill" engraved on steel by Charles Turner, and issued as plate no. 1 in the Jan. 1, 1823 Gems of Art; "The Traveller" after Cuyp, engraved on steel by T. Lupton, published in Gems of Art, Oct., 1823, and "Canal Scene by Moonlight" from the painting by A. Van der Neer, engraved by Samuel W. Reynolds, and also appearing in the 1823 Gems of Art. Although often referred to as Commonplace Books, or Scrapbooks, these Sentimental Albums were often compiled not only for the person's own enjoyment, but also as objects to express themes reinforcing romance, love, motherhood, joy, loss, mourning, and of course reflecting the compiler's passions and tastes. In this case, there are many of the pieces which have themes of a variety of species of dogs, as well as a number of other animals, including owls, birds, and many different pieces exhibiting an interest in botany and natural history. This album was definitely intended as a visual artifact, absent any manuscript sentiments, autographs, poetry, or other such items often found in similar pieces of the period. See: Freya Gowrley, Reflective and Reflexive Forms: Intimacy and Medium Specficity in British and American Sentimental Albums, 1800-1860, Journal 18, Issue #6 (Fall, 2018).
method-draw-image (23)

The Nicotiana species according to T.H. Goodspeed — 1957. R.A.S. [Botanical study photo album filled with 70 original silver gelatin photographs of tobacco plant species all carefully numbered and identified].

BOTANY -- TOBACCO PLANTS]. GOODSPEED, T.[homas] H.[arper]. Oblong 4to. 12 x 11.5 in. [43 leaves (unnumbered).], on thick green-tinted paper stock. With 70 original silver gelatin photographs mounted w/ black corners, all w/ pencil annotations of species & samples on versos (3 removed each w/ pencil annotation indication below). Contemporary pebbled black cloth Super-Lock post binder, rounded corners, typed label below glassine spine window (minor shelfwear, rubbing), an excellent exemplar. A remarkable photo album documenting the recognized species of tobacco plants as established by Thomas Harper Goodspeed, who established in his groundbreaking 1954 Genus Nicotiana 13 infrageneric sections, grouping 61 then-recognized species of nicotiana by common and cytogenetic characters. Tobacco plants are widely used in plant virology, due mainly to the large number of diverse plant viruses that can successfully infect them, as well as serving indispensable in studies of genetic variation, protein localization, and purification. Goodspeed (1887-1966) originally worked as Curator of the University of California Botanical Garden, and was the key figure in overseeing the Garden's relocation to Strawberry Canyon, before serving as its' director from 1934 to 1957. He spent decades tracing the origins via hybridization of the many varieties of cultivated tobacco plants and close relatives, including species of the genus drawn from the Americas, Antarctica, and Australasia. No similar collections located in Worldcat; See: Nicotiana: Procedures for Experimental Use, Vol. 1586, pp. 13, 32, 106; Goodspeed, The Genus Nicotiana 1954); Goodin, Zaitlin, Naidu & Lommel, Nicotiana Benthamiana: Its History and Future as Model for Plant-Pathogen Interactions (2008), MPMI, Vol. 21, No. 8, pp. 1015-1026; University of California Botanical Garden at Berkeley, Archives, Director Thomas Harper Goodspeed (Oct. 13, 2016).
method-draw-image (23)

Histoire de l’invention de l’imprimerie par les monuments. . . [History of the invention of printing. . . ]

PRINTING -- GUTENBERG]. [DUVERGER, Eugene]. Folio. 10.5 x 13.75 in. [22], 15, [3] pp. Woodblock printed frontispieces of Chinese figures & language on gold-coloured paper, and repeated in rear as endpapers; engraved vignette of printing press on title by Tellier, dedication leaf in assorted fonts, chromolithograph portrait of Gutenberg by Leloir, printer's sample preface from Aesop by La Fontaine, plate of items associated with Gutenberg including coins & press, Naude's 1630 account of Gutenberg's invention, two facsimiles of Gutenberg's first printing efforts including a bifolium from the book of Genesis printed on rag paper simulating that of the original Incunable, followed by type samples from the 1454 Indulgence, the 2nd Bible of Mainz printed by Gutenberg in 1456, and the 30 line Letters of Indulgence. Also included are woodcut engraving of Gutenberg statue in the Royal Library, text illustrations, as well as cancel leafs at end showing the engravings were destroyed. Contemporary full straight grain brown morocco, gilt borders, gilt armorial for Don Joachim Gomez de la Cortina, Marques de Morante (1808-1868), famed bibliophile, gilt inner dentelles, marbled endpapers (minor scuffing, edgewear, light rubbing to corners), still a VG copy w/ printed armorial Cortina bookplate on front pastedown, noted bibliophile who collected more than 120,000 volumes which were sold in six massive auctions held from 1872-1879. First edition, thus, of this scarce typographic souvenir published on the occasion of the European Jubilee recognizing the 400th anniversary of the Gutenberg Bible and the invention of printing. This curious work was printed in two separate issues, featuring an iron press of a Stanhope design modified by one of the Didots for printing this work, and the facsimile resettings of Donatus and the 36-line Bible bifolium were not printed in existing type approximating the original, but rather in newly cut copies by Charles Desriez, cast by Charles Mesnager. The samples show of Desriez's considerable achievement, and yet, both that for the 36-line Bible, and the B-42 Donatus were of different widths, than the originals of Gutenberg. See: Jeremy Norman, Exeptionally Wide Commemoration of the Quatercentenary of Gutenberg 1840, History of Information (2019); David McKitterick, Old Books, New Technologies (2013), Bigmore & Wyman, I, 329.
method-draw-image (23)

An excellent Edwardian souvenir photo album chronicling the trio sailing on the SS Prinzess Irene with North German Lloyd Lines in Oct. 1909 through the Azores, a stop in Naples, and then onto India. Including a combination of Albumen and silver gelatin photographs, they attend a state dinner with British and Indian royalty, tour the sights in Calcutta, view a man-eating Tiger, visit Jeypore, and then sail onto Singapore, and attend a dinner at Government House on March 2, 1910; (together with) nine loose mounted albumen photographs of the Taj Mahal, Temple of Tanjore, Jessamine Tower, the Great Temple of Madura, and the Pearl Mosque, located inside the Red Fort in Delhi].

OCEAN LINERS -- INDIA & SINGAPORE CRUISE]. [RUTHERFORD, Mr. & Mrs., WEIR, Miss]. Oblong 4to. 11.5 x 7.5 in. [46 pp (unpaginated).], on thick gray card stock, mounted on green linen hinges at gutter margin. With 56 silver gelatin & albumen photographs (3 hand-coloured), 1 RPPC, sized from 2.5 x 4.25 in. up to 6.75 x 9.75 in., several of the photos have descriptive text w/in the negative at lower margin, some w/ lettering in manuscript below the images; seating chart for dinner with the Viceroy, two ALS invitations on letterhead, dance card, menu, and clipping touting the attendees. Recent leather post-binder, lettering stamped on front cover (occasional fading to a few images, some albumen photos w/ wrinkling from being applied to boards, occasional edgewear, couple minor tears), still a VG exemplar; Nine albumen photos sized from 7 x 9.25 in. up to 8.5 x 11 in., uniformly mounted on 11 x 14 in. gray studio board, and 8 of the 9 w/ manuscript notes in bold hand on versos (minor edgewear, a few corners w/ minor wear), still a VG set of images. This intriguing souvenir album for a voyage on the SS Prinzess Irene through the Mediterranean and onto India and Singapore opens with photos on shipboard of the Rutherfords and Miss Weir with their small dog companion. They have incorporated three albumen photos of Naples, including a panoramic view of Naples, St. Martin's Charterhouse the Neapolitan Monastery, and Santa Lucia street. Additional views on shipboard as they sail to India, including a view of camels and desert dunes along the Suez Canal. Upon their arrival in Calcutta, India they are invited and attend a state diner with Sir Syed Hussain Ali Bahadur (b. 1875), the Nawab of Murshidabad, two Maharaja's, British officers, and Baron Charles Hardinge, Viceroy of India, with menus and invitation included, and a mounted hand-coloured view of the Nawab. The menu featured Filets de Canetons au Foie Gras, Mousses de Volaille, Petits Rolls Mayonnaise, Plum Cake, Bavarois Chocolat, Pistache, and Macedonian Champaign, while the musical accompaniment featured old favorites of Teddy Bear's Picnic, Die Meistersinger by Wagner, ballet music from Faust, and compositions by Rosse. Street scenes of markets, native dress, elephants owning the road, as well as several different wagons pulled by horses, camels and oxen. Also included are albumen views of pilgrims washing in the Ganges at Benares [Varanasi], Hawa Mahal or Palace of the Winds at Jeypore, street scene in Jeypore depicts oxen, market, buildings, by Bourne & Shepard whose images were marketed throughout India by agents and wholesale distributors. From there the trio voyage onto Singapore, shown in images of Kampong Bugis along the Kallang River with a native in their boat, with thatched homes built on stilts; a bustling port, views along palm tree lined streets, a bustling market scene, elephants washing, as well as a particularly striking scene of oxen pulling a large loaded woven cart. The nine separate views include albumen photos of the entrance gate to the Taj Mahal, a detail shot, the inner courtyard, and screen around the the tombs of Shah Jehan and Mumtaz Mahal, three striking and large albumen photos of the Thanjavur temple site, including the Brihadishavara Temple, and the monumental Gopuras gateways, and finally the Pearl Mosque. The SS Prinzess Irene was an 18,000 ton lier launched in 1900 for North German Lloyd, was seized in 1917 in the United States, renamed the USS Pocahontas, and eventually sold back to North German Lloyd in 1922, first renamed the Bremen, and then the Karlsruhe and sailing until 1932.
method-draw-image (23)

The new ’53 Dodge: the action car for active Americans. [Dealer’s showroom sample catalogue for the 1953 models].

AUTOMOBILES -- DODGE]. Oblong folio. 62, [2] pp., printed on thick colour paper stock. With with three film cell overlays of the new Dodge Hemi, three larger film cell illustrations for the Dodge automobile, 11 interior upholstery samples, 17 paint samples on large overlapping sheets to underlay the cell of Dodge auto, comb bound at outer-fore-edge of rear cover as issued, colour illustrated throughout. Colour-illustrated boards, plastic comb binding as issued (minor edgewear, rubbing, minor bumping to couple corners), still VG copy. First edition of this very scarce Dodge dealer's showroom sample catalogue introducing the 1953 Dodge lineup which featured the introduction of the Red Ram Hemi engine, Dodge's first eight-cylinder engine since its straight eight in the 1930 Dodge Brothers Eight. The 1953 Dodge automobile lineup featured a sleeker look, with a Meadowbrook Suburban wagon, and two other 2-door models on a 114-inch Plymouth wheelbase, as well as the full line-up of Coronet Club-Coupe, Diplomat, Convertible, and Sierra wagon. All of the Coronet models featured the brand new engine, and combined with low weight they were terrific handling cars, with 1953 Dodge models scoring 23.5 milers per gallon on Mobilgas, breaking 196 AAA stock-car records at Bonneville in '53, and Danny Eames even set a record 102.62 mph on California's El Mirage dry lake. No copies located in Worldcat.