last 7 days
last 30 days
older than 30 days

Antiquariat INLIBRIS

Arabian Oil Ventures.

Arabian Oil Ventures.

Philby, Harry St J[ohn] B[ridger]. 8vo. XIII, (1), 134 pp. With frontispiece and 12 photo illustrations on plates; maps on endpapers. Publisher's original giltstamped blue cloth with printed dustjacket. First edition of Philby's final work; published posthumously. "This is the story of how the oil concession of Saudi Arabia was made, from [the author's] own intimate view as participant in the negotiations" (dustjacket blurb). - St. John Philby (1885-1960), also known by his Arabian name "Sheikh Abdullah", was an Arabist, explorer, writer, and British colonial office intelligence officer. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, he studied oriental languages and was a friend and classmate of Jawaharlal Nehru, later prime Minister of India. Philby settled in Jeddah and became famous as an international writer and explorer. He personally mapped on camelback what is now the Saudi-Yemeni border on the Rub' al Khali; in 1932, while searching for the lost city of Ubar, he was the first Westerner to visit and describe the Wabar craters. At this time, Philby also became Ibn Saud's chief adviser in dealing with the British Empire and Western powers. He converted to Islam in 1930. The personal contacts between the United States and Saudi Arabia were largely channeled through the person of Philby. His son, "Kim" Philby, gained notoriety as the Soviet mole in the British Secret Service. - An excellent copy, one corner of dustjacket very slightly bumped.
method-draw-image (23)

Lira Chilena. El 3er Curso de la Escuela Normal de Preceptoras. Dedica este pequeño trabajo a su noble i abnegada Directtora Sta. Teresa Adametz.

Adametz, Teresa, Chilean educator (1846-1917)]. 4to. Spanish manuscript on paper. 189 written pages on 97 ff. within black ink rules. Contemporary full leather binding over bevelled wooden boards, title and lyre design giltstamped to upper cover, Chilean arms to lower cover, floral ornamentation and title "Poesias" to spine. Gilt dentelle along bevelled outer as well as inner edges. All edges goffered and gilt. Dedication manuscript for Miss Teresa (Therese) Adametz, director of Santiago's pioneering teacher training college "Escuela Normal de Preceptoras" between 1885 and 1890. In 1910, the writer, educator and later Nobel laureate Gabriela Mistrál would receive her long-sought degree from this institution. - The volume constitutes an anthology of Chilean poetry, each section introduced by a brief outline of the life of the respective writer, including such poets as Eusebio Lillo, Isidoro Errázuriz, or Luis Rodriguez Velasco. Penned in fine and regular cursive calligraphy, with blackletter headlines decorated with ornamental penwork flourishes, this sumptuously bound volume was produced by the college's third class as a gift for the Silesian-born educator Adametz, formerly in charge of an Austrian girls' boarding school for the daughters of military officers (cf. Actividades femeninas en Chile [Santiago 1928], pp. 145f.). The dedicatory poem is signed "Rita Gomez Oviedo", while the final entry ("[L]a escuela qué goces") is signed "Pilar Montecinos C.". - An old stamped shelfmark "5.164" to the lower edge of the title-page. Beautifully preserved.
method-draw-image (23)

Die neuesten und vorzüglichsten Kunst-Straßen über die Alpen. Beschrieben auf einer Reise durch Östreich, Steyermark, Kärnthen, Krain und Tyrol, das Küstenland und die Lombardie, einen Teil von Piemont und der südlichen Schweiz.

Baumgartner, Joseph. 8vo. (2), X, 332 pp. With 13 folding lithographic platesl. Contemporary marbled wrappers. Only edition of this account of the newly-built alpine roads, couched as the description of an alpine journey from Vienna to Trieste, Milan, across the Simplon, San Bernardino, and Splügen Pass to Lake Como and back via the Stelvio Pass to Mals, Innsbruck, and Salzburg. The volume offers the first technical account of the travel and transport infrastructure of the Austrian Alps, much of which was erected only in the early 19th century, but also contains historical notes and travel impressions. The detailed plates (lithographed after the author's own drawings, prepared on site) show the position and construction of various serpentine roads, passes, bridges, tunnels, as well as terrain forms. - The civil engineer Baumgartner (1796-1884) entered the Lower Austrian Engineering Directorate in 1817 and was made Inspector of Hydraulic Engineering in 1843, then Director of the Lower Austrian Provincial Engineering Department in 1845. In 1857 he joined the Trade Ministry. For his supervision of repair work performed on St Stephen's Cathedral he was made an honorary citizen of Vienna in 1842 (cf. Czeike I, 286). - Rubbed and bumped at corners; light foxing throughout. Rare. Engelmann (Bibl. mech.-tech.) 24. Dreyer 55. Wäber (Suppl.) 14. OCLC 83956020.
method-draw-image (23)

Horse Map of the World.

Sims, Joseph P[atterson]. 820 x 530 mm. Chromolithograph map, watermark of Hamilton Bond. Designed by the architect and keen cartographer Joseph Patterson Sims, this curious map represents the origins and distribution of equine breeds throughout the world. The border surrounding the main map is divided into 28 boxes, each containing a colour illustration of a certain breed, accompanied by its name, place (and sometimes century) of origin, size, colour and, often, weight. Each is assigned a number correlating to the central map, thus demonstrating the distribution of these major breeds across the globe. As if not self-explanatory, Sims includes an extensive explanation contained within an elaborate cartouche in the lower central portion of the map. In this text, he singles out the Prejvalsky, perhaps as the "only remaining wild horse", and the ancestors of the modern thoroughbred, because of their significance in racing. In fact, the map appears to be formed with fans of the equestrian sport in mind, with two boxes in the upper corners listing "The Classics of the Turf'", that is, the principal annual horse races. The highly decorative nature of the cartouche is complemented by the plinths on either side, both of which are surmounted by riders in various outfits, and are undoubtedly designed to express a short history of European horsemanship, with contemporary jockey and equestrian on the left, and medieval figures on the right. - On the map itself, other breeds including the Beetewk, the Nubian Gray Wild Ass of Africa and, interestingly, the Zebra, are illustrated, along with annotations providing additional information. One such note discusses the superstitions surrounding white horses which, although historically spurious, undoubtedly contributes to the light-hearted style of the work. Others suggest other breeds that might also be found in the given country, although, surprisingly, none are attributed to India, where there is literary and visual evidence of equine activity for several millennia, Turkistan (modern Kazakhstan), which is known to have been responsible for at least four breeds, or the Iberian Peninsula. The latter is perhaps the most striking omission, given that an annotation above South America explains that horses were brought there by the Spanish in the 16th century. Indeed, although the equus genus did originate in North America, horses had died out there during prehistoric times, and were only reintroduced by Europeans upon the discovery of the New World. Likewise, the much-simplified map of Asia documents the origins of only Chinese, Russian and Arabic horses, despite the prevalence of horses throughout the continent. Sims does, however, add details of other breeds found in Mongolia, a country with an important equine history and culture, since horses were an essential part of the nomadic existence which many Mongols lived. - Other ornamental features of the map include the scale and compass in the centre, which are flanked by two unicorns, in keeping with the equine theme. Similarly, a hippocampus is illustrated in the lower left corner, while another aspirational horse is shown on the opposite side, flying over a small cartouche containing information about the map's publication. Cf. Dent, Torguson, Hodler, Cartography: Thematic map design (WCB McGraw-Hill, 1999). Fostenko, The Horses of Central Asia. A Russian Military Study, 1883. Simpson, Horses. The story of the horse family in the modern world and through sixty million years of history (OUP 1951). Van der Dussen, The History of the Idea of Europe (Routledge, 1995).
method-draw-image (23)

The India directory, or, directions for sailing to and from the East Indies, China, New Holland, Cape of Good Hope, Brazil, and the interjacent ports . third edition.

Horsburgh, James. 2 volumes. 4to. (8), XXVI, 503, (1), 16; (8), 642, (1), (1 blank) pp. Contemporary half calf, rebacked with the original backstrips laid down. Rare third, revised edition of a massive navigational directory, with exhaustive information on the Arabian Sea, the Red Sea, and the Arabian (Persian) Gulf. Including detailed entries on Sharjah, Dubai, Abu Dhabi ("Abothubbee"), Bahrain and Hormuz, not only covering navigational details, but also the inhabitants, pearl fishery, geography, commerce etc. - It was compiled chiefly from recent journals of ships employed by the East India Company, by James Horsburgh (1762-1836) hydrographer and chart maker to the Company. "As hydrographer Horsburgh was primarily responsible for supervising the engraving of charts sent back to London by marine surveyors in India and ordered by the company to be published, and for examining the deposited journals of returning ships for observations which would refine the oceanic navigation charts currently in use, besides other duties of provision of information laid on him by the court" (Cook). - The book appeared in a total of eight editions between 1809 and 1864 before being superseded by Findlay's A directory for the navigation of the Indian Ocean (1869). - With an inserted manuscript note facing p. 136, vol. 1, and a short manuscript note at the foot of page 501, vol. 2. Some faint thumbing to the title-pages and rebacked, but otherwise in very good condition. Cf. Cat. NHSM, p. 73 (fifth ed.). Sabin 33047 (fifth ed.). For the author: Cook, "Horsburgh, James (1762-1836)", in: ODNB (online ed.).
method-draw-image (23)

Aanteekeningen uit de Reise naar Arabie, en andere omliggende landen, van Carsten Niebuhr, geteekent en geschreeven door Joh. Louis Gerlagh.

Niebuhr, Carsten, and others (Johan Louis Gerlagh, compiler and draftsman). Folio (29 x 22 cm). 63, (10) ff. Manuscript in Dutch, written in ink on paper, with two loosely inserted supplements (2 bifolia), with a calligraphic title-page (in script lettering with an interior white line giving an incised effect) and 39 pages of (mostly) ink and grey ink wash drawings of inscriptions, musical instruments, buildings, etc., including 3 pages of Kufic inscriptions in black ink with vowel points in red and decorations in red, yellow and green, and a few other written inscriptions showing the styles of script, plus a small drawing of an inscription and a few written examples in the text. Contemporary half canvas, sides covered with printed pattern paper (a matrix of 4-petalled rosettes on a background of horizontal and vertical lines, and dots, in red, blue and yellow, sewn on 3 vellum tapes and tacketted to the canvas spine through a vellum liner. A Dutch illustrated manuscript devoted to the Arabian peninsula and neighbouring regions, compiled in 1785 by (and the illustrations drawn by) Johan Louis Gerlagh (1735-98), a director of the Dutch West India Company and East India Company (WIC and VOC). He takes a special interest in the various and styles of script, including Egyptian hieroglyphs and at least six styles of Arabic script (kufic, naskh, ta'liq, thuluth, ruq'ah and maghribi), but he also discusses and illustrates bas-reliefs, buildings (including the Great Mosques at Mecca and Medina), musical instruments, footware, a scarab, etc., and provides tables of data concerning tides, compass corrections and temperatures, and accounts of the Islamic calendar, precious stones, weights and measures and coins. The title describes the manuscript as notes from Carsten Niebuhr's "Reize naar Arabië en andere omliggende landen", a Dutch translation (Amsterdam & Utrecht 1776-78) of the German "Reisebeschreibung nach Arabien" (Copenhagen 1774-78), but Gerlagh apparently treats Niebuhr's complementary "Beschryving van Arabie" (1774, first published in German in 1772) as an additional volume of the Reize. All the illustrations and most of the text is copied from these two publications. Gerlagh does make use of other sources, however, quoting from Bernard Bredenbach, "Peregrinatio in Terra Sanctum" (1486); Heinrich Buenting, Itinerarium scripturae (1581); Fredrik Hasselquist, Travels in the Levant (1766); J.F. Martinet, "Historie der waereld" (1780-87) and Joseph de la Porte, "Nieuwe reisiger, beschryving van de oude en nieuwe weereldt" (1766-91). - Gerlagh came from a patrician family that had ties with the WIC by at least 1720 (including a director by 1730) and the VOC by at least 1735. He himself was a director of both by 1764. Although he is recorded moving from Tholen to Oosterhout (northeast of Breda) in 1779, this may have been a second residence, for he had already set up in Hoeven (west of Breda) where he served as "schout" (head of the municipality) from 1771 to 1794, his wife died there in 1786 and he died there in 1798, so he probably produced the present manuscript there. His amateur drawings and sketchbooks, most of them in Museum Gouda, have been exhibited. - The manuscript collates: [A]14 (- A9) [B]10 (B1 + [chi]2; - B7, 9, 10) [C]2 [D]4 [E]2 [F]4 [G]6 (± G1, 2, 3, 6) [H]4 [I]2 [K]-[N]4 2[chi]1 [O]-[P]4 [Q]2 = 73 ff., with E2 and H4 blank except for the leaf numbers (ff. 30 & 34). The main paper stock (including the endpapers at the front and probably also at the back) is watermarked: crowned GR in laurel branches, in a circle = Dutch garden (with "Pro Patria" above toward the centre of the sheet) above "H K P" (the main mark can appear in the left or right half sheet). We have not found or identified the initials HKP. After the last numbered leaf (2[chi]) a new part of the text begins with a different paper stock to the end of the manuscript (quires O-Q), similar but with no initials below the Dutch garden, in the general style of Heawood 3700 (1747) and Voorn, Noord-Holland 140 (1790). The cancel leaf G6± may come from the same stock, while the cancel leaves G1±, G2± and G3± show a different stock or stocks: G3± with a lion with 7 arrows, lance and freedom hat (pedestal with "VRYHEYT") in a crowned ring (double lines inside and out) containing (in mirror image) "Pro patria eiusque libertate"), in the general style of Heawood 3148 (1745) and Voorn, Noord-Holland 104-111 (1713-49); and G1± and G2± with the countermark "J[an] H[onig] & zoon", that form shown with a different main mark in Voorn, Noord-Holland 133 (1741). The firm name in the present form, with the present "zoon" (son), is recorded from 1735 to at least 1764 (probably at least 1768), changing to "zonen" (sons) probably by 1774 and certainly by 1793. So the paper used for these three cancel leaves may be several years older than the manuscript itself. - The manuscript is internally in good condition, with most deckles preserved. The binding is shabby, with tears in the canvas and the paper sides, the front hinge separated from the bookblock and the free endleaf at the back torn out. A good example of the fascination of leading figures in the VOC and WIC with the Arabian Peninsula and vicinity and with Islamic culture. For Niebuhr and his accounts of Arabia: Hamilton, Europe and the Arab world 48; Howgego, to 1800, N24; for Gerlagh: Katalogus . tekenwerk-schilderwerk van Johann Louis Gerlagh (1987); A. Romeijn, De stadsregering van Tholen (1577-1795) (2001), pp. 229f.
Neuvermehrter

Neuvermehrter, von der Hochlöblichen Theologischen Facultät zu Wittenberg censirter, approbirter und recommandirter auch mit 35 schönen Kupfferstücken gezierter Catechetischer Lehr-Grund [.].

Pilarik, Stephan. 8vo. 76, (4), 824 (not: 822), (24) pp. With engraved portrait frontispiece (by M. Bodenehr after A. Batlowsky) and 36 engraved plates (1 folding). Includes a loosely inserted appendix: pp. 519-542 "belonging to p. 518" as well as another engraved portrait (folded). Contemporary vellum with giltstamped spine title ("Pilarik. Catechet. Grund. Lehr. Vnd. Schvp. Svnd. Rohll."). All edges coloured. Extremely rare third edition of Stephan Pilarik's Catechism: the second known copy, the only other one being kept at the Szécheny National Library in Budapest (shelfmark RMK III. 3787). Stephan Pilarik junior (1644-1720), son of the like-named Hungarian theologian István Pilarik (1615-93) and, like him, a Protestant exile in Lusatia (driven abroad by the Counter-Reformation, like so many non-Catholic subjects of Habsburg rule), had served as pastor in Hungary, Silesia and Saxony and was his father's substitute before becoming vicar of Klein-Röhrsdorf in 1695. His Catechism, originally entitled "Höchst-nöthiger, nützlicher und in mancherley Anfechtungen bestehender catechetischer Lehr-Grund", was first published in 1681 and then again in 1687, both times by Johann Christoph Jacob in Brieg (Brzeg). A fourth and fifth edition were to appear as late as 1714 and 1717, published by Schwencke in Dresden. The long autobiographical preface ("Historische Zuschrifft") to the present third edition is dated 10 November 1693, a mere nine months after the passing of Pilarik senior. The foreword mentions a locust plage that the author witnessed in Modor (now Modra in Slovakia) in 1685 and includes a large folding plate showing the locusts descending on the village. Remarkably, this plate has been extensively annotated by the book's contemporary owner: both the margins of the engraving as well as the blank reverse contain a closely written account of similar plagues that devastated the crops of Bramel (near Bremerhaven) during the Thirty Years' War as well as in 1710. This report is signed by Johannes Gödtkens (1658-1744), a native of Hamburg who served as pastor in Bramel from 1698 to 1711 before transferring to Grünendeich near Stade, where he remained until his death (cf. Bruhn, Die Kandidaten der hamburgischen Kirche von 1654 bis 1825 [1963], p. 139f.). Throughout the volume are numerous additional underlinings and annotations in Gödtken's hand, giving evidence of the pastor's close study of Pilarik's catechism. Loosely inserted at the end is an appendix of 24 pages, providing a more extensive treatment of a particularly thorny aspect of Protestant doctrine, namely predestination and how to determine who is among the elect ("Woran kan man abnehmen, welche die Auserwehlten seyn, und welche sind ihre Merk-Zeichen?"). This appendix appears to be missing from the Budapest copy, which also seems to contain a mere 11 plates (likely the frontispiece and the ten plates illustrating the Ten Commandments). An additional engraved portrait of Pilarik jr. (by Johann Tscherning, after a drawing by Moritz Lang) is inserted with the appendix. - Binding slightly rubbed and duststained; an old shelfmark label "2" to spine. The generously spaced lower inner hinge purposely leaves room for the inserted appendix. Cat. Bibl. Hung. Nat. Széch. (Suppl.) I, 448. Not in VD 17 or OCLC.
method-draw-image (23)

Two Arabic letters to Baron Hamm[er?].

Hammer-Purgstall, Baron Carl Joseph Camillo, member of the Styrian parliament (1817-1879)?]. Large 4to. A total of 2 pp. (one leaf and one bifolium), each with French translation (one on a separate leaf, the other on the verso of the bifolium). By a "Girgès" (Jirjis) to "Monsieur Le Baron de Hamm" who had invited him to Vienna during a visit to Upper Egypt. The recipient is likely Carl von Hammer, the eldest son of the important Austrian oriental scholar Joseph Baron Hammer-Purgstall: "Vous avez bien voulu à votre voyage à Lougsor [= Luxor] vous interessé a moi en m'offrant de me faire venir à Vienne. Je suis en ce moment au Caire à votre disposition. Voici l'été et le changement de climat me sera très favorable. Persuadé, Monsieur le Baron, que vous voudrez bien vous souvenir d'un pauvre orphelin et me faire l'honneur d'une réponse, je suis [.]" (Cairo, 26 March 1870, from the French translation). - "Monsieur le Baron Ham / Je viens vous dire que vous n'avez fait aucune reponse à mes lettres par lesquelles je vous priais de m'envoyer ses reponses. Ce procédé m'etonne d'autant plus qu'il n'est pas en rapport avec la promesse que vous m'avez fait a Loqsur, aussi je suis arrivé a Alexandrie depuis deux mois en attendant vos nouvelles. Pour tout cela je vous prie d'avoir la bonté de m'envoyer une lettre en y vous me fairais apprendre si vous voulez me faire apporter chez vous en Vienne ou non [.]" (Alexandria, 10 July 1870, from the French translation). - Slight edge tears and wrinkles, otherwise fine. - Carl von Hammer-Purgstall, born in Vienna on 20 January 1817, inherited Hainfeld Castle in Styria from his father. He retired from the Imperial army holding the rank of captain and served as member of the Styrian Landtag. He died in Trieste on 12 February 1879. - The great orientalist's youngest brother, the Graz-based lawyer Dr. Wilhelm von Hammer (1784-1872), was also still alive in 1870, but his advanced age at the time makes him appear an unlikely tourist of Egypt.
method-draw-image (23)

Il descrittione della prima parte dell’ Asia [Iran / Uzbekistan / Turkmenistan / Pakistan / Afghanistan]. (And): Il disegno della seconda parte dell’ Asia [Oman / United Arab Emirates / Bahrain / Iran / Pakistan / India].

Gastaldi, Giacomo. Two maps, 1 of 2 sheets only each. Copper-engraved map sheets in full original contemporary colour, each recently remounted upon a larger sheet of acid-free paper with added French lines in gilt and blue. Dimensions: 40.5 × 37.5 cm (map) / mounting sheet 45.5 × 42.5 cm and 40.5 × 39.5 cm (map) / mounting sheet 45.5 × 44.5 cm. An exceptional ensemble; the only copies in original colour that we have ever seen: the eastern sheet of Giacomo Gastaldi's famous map of Persia and the fabled "Silk Road" lands to its immediate east (here depicting the Persian heartland, including Isfahan), and the eastern sheet his map of the Middle East, including the first broadly accurate large-format cartography of the Arabian Peninsula, here depicting the territories of modern Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Oman, plus parts of Iran, Pakistan and India. - These are one sheet only (of two sheets) each, in resplendent contemporary colour. Gastaldi issued the first edition of the present maps in 1561, and the present sheets are from a rare later edition of this work, published around 1570 by Girolamo Ogiliato (Olgiati, Oligiati), employing Gastaldi's original plates. They are faithful to the first edition in all material respects. - The present example of the map sheets is extraordinary in that they feature splendid period colour, rarely seen in "Lafreri" maps. The first sheet depicts the majority of Persia, including Isfahan and Shiraz, extending eastwards to include large parts of what are today Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, and Pakistan. The Silk Road cities of "Samarchand" (Samarkand), "Buccara" (Bukhara), and "Candahar" (Kandahar) are labelled. The second map depicts the eastern part of the Arabian Peninsula and stretches around the arc of the Arabian Sea, encompassing south-eastern Persia, the coasts of Pakistan, much of the west coast of India, as well as the Maldives. Bahrain is labelled "Bahare / Qui so pescaro le perle" ("Bahrain / Where they fish for pearls"). Further east, the entirety of what is today the United Arab Emirates is labelled as "Regno: di Bechari". All of Oman is depicted, including "Moschetto" (Muscat). Beyond the Arabian Peninsula the map showcases a large portion of Persia, labelling "Ormus" (Hormuz / Bandar Abbas). The mapping of the Indian subcontinent extends as far south as northern Kerala, labelling major ports such as "Surat", "Goha" (Goa), and "Calecut" (Calicut). - The maps have recently undergone professional restoration whereby they were removed from their contemporary backing and remounted upon a larger sheet of acid-free paper with added decorative French lines in gilt and blue. The maps' stellar period colour and gilt highlights have been fully preserved. - Condition: very good in excellent original colour; some subtle closed tears, a minor abrasion in the second map and and toning in far right-hand side of the first. Maps trimmed to neatline as common with "Lafreri" maps. R. V. Tooley, "Maps in Italian Atlases of the Sixteenth Century, being a comparative list of the Italian maps issued by Lafreri, Forlani, Duchetti, Bertelli and others, found in atlases", Imago Mundi 3 (1939), pp. 12-47, nos. 49 & 57. Det Kongelige Bibliotek (Copenhagen) KBK 2-2 Atlas Major, vol. 47, plates 36 & 37. Cf. Bifolco & Ronca, Cartografia e topografia italiana del XVI secolo (Rome 2018), plates 68 & 71.