last 7 days
last 30 days
older than 30 days

Hugh Pagan Limited

NO-IMAGE1

Delle ville di Plinio il Giovane . con un’appendice su gli atri della S. Scrittura, e gli scamilli impares di Vitruvio.

Marquez, Pietro Only edition of this first serious attempt at a reconstruction of the architecture and ground plans of Pliny's Laurentine and Tuscan villas since that by the English writer Robert Castell in the 1720s (of which, not surprisingly, Marquez was unaware). Marquez prints all the relevant passages from Pliny's correspondence, subjects them to careful analysis, and offers an architectural reconstruction as compatible as possible both with Pliny's text and with Vitruvian theory (see the vignette ill. on p.114 for the result). His close study of Vitruvius is also evident in a concluding essay on Vitruvius? celebrated scamilli impares and on the evidence for ancient architecture provided by Holy Writ. Marquez dedicates the book to Count D'Azara, the Spanish minister to the Holy See and the patron and biographer of the painter Mengs, and he mentions a joint visit to a potential site of the Laurentine villa by himself, by the young Spanish architect Silvestro Perez and by Louis Petit Radel, a French cleric from Gascony. Unexpectedly, Marquez (1741-1820) was himself a Mexican, although doubtless of Spanish ancestry and by this time an established writer and historian in Rome, and he may well have been the first Latin American to write in a scholarly way about an architectural subject. Cicognara 559 (=3268). Two copies only reported to NUC (Harvard and University of Illinois, Urbana). 8vo. (8) + 232pp, 2 folding engraved plans, 1 engraved map, 2 engraved vignettes. Contemporary marbled wrappers. The Donaueschingen copy, with faint circular ownership stamp on recto of title, and stamped ownership inscription on its blank verso. Old dampstain affecting lower blank margin of title leaf, and a smaller one slightly affecting last two leaves of volume, but essentially a good, fresh copy, untrimmed as issued.
NO-IMAGE1

Studi sui monumenti della Italia meridionale dal IVo. al XIIIo. secolo. Parte prima; parte seconda (with) L?arte Romana al medio evo, Appendice agli Studi sui monumenti della Italia meridionale.

Salazaro, Demetrio These mighty volumes represent the magnum opus of Demetrio Salazaro (1822-1882), a senior employee of the Museo Nazionale in Naples, who was the first scholar in modern times to investigate the early medieval art and architecture of Southern Italy and Sicily. The volumes use chromolitho plates to illustrate surviving mosaics and mural paintings in the principal medieval church buildings in the region, and, unusually for a book of which publication had commenced by 1871, actual mounted photographs to illustrate sculptures, carved ornament, and, in some cases, the interiors and exteriors of the church buildings featured. All the parts come with quite extensive accompanying text, the first part being devoted to cathedrals, monasteries and churches in Naples, Amalfi, Salerno, Capua and other places in Campania, the second part to similar buildings in Apulia, Calabria and Sicily (these including the cathedrals at Palermo and Monreale), and the final part, the ?Appendice?, to selected buildings of similar date in Rome and Orvieto. Although this final part carries the date 1881 on its title leaf, it contains a tribute to Salazaro by his friend Giulio Minervini, dated 10 October 1886, by which time Salazaro was long dead, and it seems likely that this part and its predecessors were issued in instalments over significant periods of time.Prospective purchasers should be aware that the volumes are large and heavy, weighing together about 16 kilos. Elephant folio. 3 parts in 2 vols (first volume contains Studi, parts I & II, second volume the L?Arte Romana appendix). (4) + 69 + (3)pp, 24 plates (of which 14 are chromolitho, rest actual mounted photographs); (2) + 69 + (1)pp, 24 plates (of which 12 are chromolitho, rest actual mounted photo plates); (6) + 43 + (3)pp, 16 plates (of which 8 are chromolitho, the rest actual mounted photo plates). Publisher?s full vellum, the covers decorated with coloured red lettering surrounded by red borders (bindings a little soiled, with some of the original colouring displaced). Late nineteenth century bookplates of Frederick A(ugustus) Wood, Chew Magna, Somerset (c.1822-1904, a local Somerset antiquary).
NO-IMAGE1

Dum a zahrada. Prelozili V.A.Jung a M. a J.Klimovi.

Baillie Scott, M.H. Scarce translation into Czech, in a reduced format, of the British architect M.H.Baillie Scott?s Houses and Gardens, published in London in 1908. Baillie Scott?s designs for the interior of the Grand Ducal palace at Darmstadt in the 1890s had won him an Europe-wide reputation, and it is no real surprise that a translation of his book into Czech was published at Prague as early as 1910.What is very much more of a surprise is that the Czech version of the book, unlike the subsequent German translation published in Berlin in 1912, for which the Wasmuth firm provided close copies of the original illustrations, has an entirely new set of photo plates, of which only four are of designs by Baillie Scott, and most of the remainder illustrate buildings by contemporary German, Austrian and Czech architects, including Josef Maria Olbrich, Peter Behrens, Josef Hoffmann, Bruno Paul, Hermann Muthesius, Jan Kotera, Otakar Novotny and Josef Gocar. This has the effect of placing Baillie Scott?s architectural work securely in its contemporary European context, and although the fact that the text of the present volume is in Czech makes it unapproachable by readers who do not understand the language, the plates carry their own significant message. 8vo. xi + (1) + 251 + (1)pp, 42 photo plates (of which 1 colour and folding), also text ills. Publisher?s printed wrappers, a little worn and abraded at outer margins.